Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Murder Cafe / Earth Burnt Black - Split



Oooooh! A split! To The Head Records, you are much too kind! And that’s enough of the phony baloney intro, so lets dig into the meat of this nut! This dark, gloomy, heavy as lead balls nut!

Murder Cafe, hailing from Grand Junction, Colorado. Murder Cafe starts off our little foray into this doomy split with an intro about how “Government BAD!” Yeah, I’ve never been a fan of minute long intros on splits and EPs, regardless as to how much I agree with the message.

However, the second that shit ends, we’re catapulted into a dreary soundscape of depressive doom. Oddly enough, instead of trying to claw my way out I found myself loving every second of Cloudy Waves Of Conformity. Unfortunately, that experience couldn’t go on forever and eventually the third and final track from Murder Cafe started up. Desperate Reach For The Top showcases vocalist Kyle Davis’ guttural growl, high witchy pitches, and his lounge-y tough-speaking voice. Normally, that’s a really fucking annoying thing to whip out, but Kyle makes it work. Well, they all make it work.

And call me crazy but I’m pretty sure this offering lacks a guitar! Meh. Who needs that anyway? I can tell you will all sensibility that Murder Cafe does not.

Earth Burnt Black. And now we come to the boys from Greely, Colorado. While a shit ton heavier than our previous reviewies, there lacks a certain spark in their dooooom. I’m not saying that EBB is bad at all, I’m just getting the usual comparison between the bands on a split out of the way.

First up in their bag of tricks is a song called Singularity, and I can see why. Everything is tuned down so fucking low that if you were standing between two speakers at a show and they play this, you’d be reduced to a Singularity by being crushed by the HEAVY that this song drops on all who listen. The resulting black hole is someone else’s problem.

And finally, we have Prey. Not quite as destructive as Singularity, but a whole lot more entertaining. Halfway through, EBB goes all SLUDGE out of nowhere, giving me one hell of a case of whiplash! You gotta love that.

Overall, this was an excellent split. Both bands have previously released material floating around out there that I suggest you snatch up before it’s all gone. I know I’m gonna try.

Murder Cafe On Facebook
Earth Burt Black On Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment