Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Dark Elite - Enter The Void (Cassette)



Thus one goes to the stars…(I haven’t read the Aeneid in ages.)

I’ve got to be honest here, I almost passed this one over without even listening to it until I noticed that Timo Honkanen was on guitar duty. His contributions to Battlelore are amazing, so I figured that would transfer over into this ep as well.

Listening to Enter The Void is like getting a guided tour of the cosmos, except that your tour shuttle crashes on a desolate planet and instead of Carl Sagan’s erudite voice narrating our journey, we have the aphotic melodies of Finnish metal outfit Dark Elite to show us the way from here to GRB 090423.

After starting things off with an intro that consists of a garbled transmission of death and doom, Dark Elite’s density pulls us in with the might of neutron star. They slam you about with a mix of scathing black metal, pummeling melodic death beats, and background ambient dissonance. For me, this five track EP is equal parts Winterthrall’s Nightmares For The Sleepless, Be’lakor’s Stone’s Reach, and Phelios’s Astral Unity (a MASSIVE compliment coming from me).

As I mentioned earlier, Timo Honkanen helms the guitar in this act. I am officially going on record and saying that I want to hear MORE of it. Coupled with Enrico Huovinen’s scorched blasting (again, I’m reminded of Winterthrall), Honkanen’s riffing paints a celestial portrait of a cold, vacuous sector of space were dark metal reigns!

As far as EPs go, this one is definitely one of the better offerings that has come my way in quite some time. Yeah, it’s a little on the short side (as all EPs are), but it gives me a good enough idea as to what to expect from this group when they decide to put out a full-length, hopefully sooner than later.

Dark Elite On Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment