Monday, January 5, 2015

Machine Head - Bloodstone & Diamonds


Genre: Groove Metal, Thrash
Label: Nuclear Blast

Oooookay. Here we go. This is actually my very first experience with Machine Head, which is apparently eight albums in. I've heard a bit about them over the years. Some of it was good and some of it was hilariously bad. I don't really know what "Bloodstone & Diamonds" has in store for me, so let's just jump right in...

Wow. If you like getting beat to death with "the groove", this album (and probably most of their library) is for you. I'm no stranger to groove metal and would also consider myself a fan of the genre, so I was digging it for the first two tracks. But then I hit a bit of a wall due to Rob Flynn's vocals. Dude, come on. Nobody wants to hear you hyperventilate into the mic or use your sexytime whispers as a vocal style. His shouting is serviceable, but gets old way too fast for me.

Jarred MacEachern's backing vocals on the other hand hit all of the right notes and add accents where they're needed. If anything, I think he may have been underutilized in this aspect. His bass work is also a high point, with it being every bit as driving as Dave McClain's drumming. This is a duo I'd keep together for a while if I had my druthers.

The guitar work (both Rob's rhythm and Phil Demmel's leads) are engaging and can even be innovative at times (Ghosts Will Haunt My Bones and Eyes Of The Dead come to mind). Both guitarists seem to play well off of one another and help keep that groove going in the right direction. However, after a few listens, you'll start to notice that a couple of tracks sound similar and even kind of bleed into one another.

I can tell you that I'm a pretty big fan on U.K. avant garde, instrumental outfit, The Devil and their work with soundbites taken from the news that are used in place of a vocalist. The track, Imaginal Cells is reminiscent of this style and tickles me just right on my. "Ooooh! That's different!" spot. Instrumentally, it's par for the course for "Bloodstone & Diamonds", so don't get excited for it being too different, though.

In the end, I'm left thinking that Machine Head probably has better entries in their catalog than "Bloodstone & Diamonds" (and with a few recommendations, I might find them). It's a good listen if you need something to bang your head to for a track or two, but it manages to wear out it's welcome with it's repetition and needlessly long tracks.

Machine Head On Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment