Monday, January 5, 2015

An Interview With Scott Mosher of Oceans Of Night (from 2009)

Typhon: First off, thanks for agreeing to this interview Mr. Mosher. Where did the name Oceans Of Night come from and why didn’t you go by it sooner? (lol)

Scott Mosher: Good question and one I've wondered many times recently myself. I should have operated under a good band name from the beginning but I didn't really think I'd release 5 CDs over the years. In hindsight Oceans of Night should be stamped all over my name on all the covers and PR materials, at least since Virtuality in 2001. The name Oceans of Night actually was a song title I have in the archive. It's kind of fitting actually... mysterious, enigmatic, somber and slightly poetic. I think it represents the music and my lyrical/graphic concept rather well. I'm not sure it screams "metal" like Metallica does, but the artistic association is there.

T: While we're on the subject, where did the title, "The Shadowheart Mirror" come from?

SM: You know, I'm not really sure. It's kind of an abstract concept. To expound upon that, the mirror is literally a reflection of one's sense of self, or state of mind. The shadowheart concept is a metaphor for turmoil and times of despair and anger. In other words, it represents the recurring lyrical themes on the CD, which are based upon the personalization of relationship strife and personal anguish in coming to terms with life during a dark period. I'm glad you asked though, because it's become quite theraputic for me to contemplate the reason and meaning behind the title.

T: When did you start on your path as an uber talented musician? Did you have a nurturing/musical upbringing?

SM: I commenced on my path to uber talented musician upon graduation from uber talent school. That is right before my attendance at the Derek Zoolander school. Honestly, I'm not sure. There's plenty of more talented folks out there, I guess I just have enough talent to fuel my artistic ambitions, but not enough to make me dangerous. Between music and my day job as a graphic artist, I'm knee deep in the arts. I think my lack of any kind of technical acumen speaks volumes about where my focus in life should be. I've been involved in music on a personal level probably since grade school to be honest, and it just grew out and onward from there. I definitely focused on my artistic and musical abilities as best I can, but it's something I'm constantly trying to improve upon as well.

T: I once read a review of Deep Horizon where the guy who reviewed it threw a bitch fit that it wasn’t thrash or something along those lines since your name is "Mosher." Is that a common misconception, or is he a lone ballbag on this one?

SM: I think you just coined a term that needs to find its way into the next edition of the Collegiate dictionary, "ballbag". I've gotten used to folks assuming my last name is a pseudonym or a PR creation, but I assure you and ballbag out there, that my official last name is indeed Mosher, although it's prounced "mow" and not "mosh". Use a french accent and you'll be on the money, though I'm not french. As far as reviews are concerned, I post any and all I get in their entirety on my website(s). No problem there. Good bad or indifferent, if someone takes the time to review my stuff, I'll make sure I post it.

T: How did you hook up with Scott Oliva? Was it easy getting him to do the vocals on your projects?

SM: I'm not sure what you are implying there but I'm not sure I like the tone of your voice or the insinuation. Haha! As far as the manner in which I enlisted Mr. Oliva to join my on my musical voyage you'll have to peruse the liner notes of the Oceans of Night CD, but let's just say it concerns questionable Myspace photos!

T: Have you ever considered forming and/or joining a band instead of being a (mostly) solo project? Or is the freedom (as is my understanding) of being a solo project just to great to let go of? …or are you just an uncompromising asshole that won’t let anyone get an idea in edgewise? (LOL Only kidding!) And is there a specific recording process that you favor, or are you constantly experimenting (as your music suggests)?

SM: There is, but it's fairly straightforward. My process is compose, arrange and record the songs, construct and record the guitar solos, work on vocal tracks and lyrical concepts with Mr. Oliva and then mix/engineer the CD in an outside studio (Freedom of Speech with my dawg, Micky James), replicate, and enter the marketplace and shameless self-promote. Believe me the music is where all the experimentation takes place, man.

T: Are you wondering why SPV/InsideOut Music didn’t snatch you up? Or am I the only one here? (lol)

SM: I'm wondering the same thing! ;-) I have some opinions on why I've not been able to secure a record deal... some of it is in my control, some not, but I'm not really doing this for profit. It would be nice, and I'll take the exposure a label can generate, but I'll keep plugging away with or without the support of any kind of financial backing. I think operating under a proper band name is one step in the right direction, though! Honestly, I've tried and I will continue to work that aspect of promotion, but believe me, I'm not bitter or resentful in the least.

T: Is there anything you’d like to add for the audience?

SM: I'm gratified by your kind words and enthusiasm, and even more appreciative of the fact I didn't have to pay you to say any of these things. For the uninitiated out there or folks who are interested in music that skews slightly left of center, musically of course, surf on over to oceansofnight.com. Thanks for your time, consideration and attendence.

Oceans Of Night on Facebook
Oceans Of Night Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment