Sunday, November 20, 2016

Food Metal - James Perry

Genre: Food Metal
Label: Independent 

Alum, sodium, zinc, etc... I get plenty of metal in my food. Now if I can just manage to get some food in my metal... wait, what? Native Californian and sometimes New Zealander James Perry?! Why are you putting your guitar in the oven? Ohhhhhhh...

Food Metal apparently started off as an exercise in song writing and snowballed into a legitimate project (think Tim Lambesis's Austrian Death Machine only with no celebrity impersonations and less attempted matricide). This self-titled offering is a savory selection of songs that blend hard rock, metal, gastronomy and humor together to make an album that's not heavy on calories, but heavy where it counts. 

Mr. Perry borrows from a multitude of subgenres before butchering them, marinading them in his own distinct style, broiling them and finally serving them up on Food Metal's sonic smorgasbord. 'Fries' takes bit of a slower paced thrash approach (For Whom The Bell Tolls), while 'Pass The Beets' finds James in more familiar territory (for me at least) with a slower, more melodic (almost pop-y) tune. But, in terms of balls out headbanging, the cake surely goes to 'Where The Hell Is My Food'. Jame's vocals, dirty rollin' riffs and lines about being pissed off about shitty customer service fit perfectly together here. 

My only complain here is that I felt a bit like Oliver Twist towards the end. "Please Sir, may I have some more?" (Ok, not an apt comparison since James would gladly give an orphan all the metal he/she could handle and I'm a fully grown ragamuffin.) I guess I should ask him if he plans on serving seconds in our forthcoming interview?  

Food Metal Site
Food Metal Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment